Hasn’t the battle of the sexes been relevant in every walk of life? Not trying to generalize, but don’t we all agree that some battles are won by the beautiful ladies and some by the handsome hunks. Say, for example, females win by a large margin when it comes to shopping and males when it comes to gadgets. You would say we all love food, be it men or women. But after a lot of analysis, we now have certain preferences that are more popular with men and some more with women. With an online food ordering system, data collection has become much easier. Insights about the preferences and patterns of customers can be drawn from various food ordering apps.
There are differences ranging from what time of the day to what cuisine or which desert or which drink is preferred more by the particular gender.
Based on data, it is observed women order more per order than men.
- Women spend around 3% more per order than men
Women prefer to order on online food ordering system from their work location more than men. Also, men will rather pick up their meal from the restaurant more than to get it delivered at their own place.
- Women order food from workplace 30% more often than men
Night person vs morning person
- More so men order more in the late hours of the day as compared to women (10 pm to 2 am). They are 55% more likely to order than women
- Breakfast is more likely to be ordered by women than men (8 am to 11 am). They are 15% more likely to order than men
Fridays vs Sundays
Based on data, it is seen women rule the weekdays while men rule the weekends. Men are more likely to order on Sunday whereas women are more likely to order on a Friday.
- Sodas are ordered 46% more commonly by men than women
- Lattes are ordered 96% more by women than men
- Buffalo wings are ordered 32% more by men than women
- Edamame are ordered 61% more by women than men
- Waffle fries are ordered 40% more by men than women
- Plantains are ordered 44% more by women than men
Milkshakes are ordered more by men whereas Frozen yogurt is ordered more by women
Turkish, Mediterranean, Greek and American are ordered more by men whereas Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese and Korean are ordered more by women
- Turkish was ordered 26% more by men
- American was ordered 15% more by men
- Greek was ordered 10% more by men
- The Mediterranean was ordered 10% more by men
- Japanese was ordered 21% more by women
- Thai was ordered 16% more by women
- Vietnamese was ordered 9% more by women
- Korean was ordered 4% more by women
- Chicken Parmesan was ordered 53% more by men than women
- Avocado Rolls are ordered 57% more by women than men
- Steak and Eggs are ordered 49% more by men than women
- Grits are ordered 62% more by women than men
- Chicken is ordered 60% more by men than women
- Avocado Roll is ordered 55% more by women than men
- Chicken is ordered 44% more by men than women
- Salad is ordered 75% more by women than men
- Chicken Parmesan is ordered 54% more by men than women
- Avocado Roll is ordered 89% more by women than men
(Data Source: GrubHub)
Some key takeaways and other interesting facts looking at the ordering patterns of men and women:
- Women generally are inclined to order more healthy options from restaurant online food ordering app than men
- Looking at the trends it can be inferred men order heavier food items than women. Men prefer options like cheeseburgers and buffalo wings whereas women prefer more of salad and yogurt
- A market research report by NPD reports that although a lot of new online food ordering app offering food items which are healthy and affordable and also posting their nutritional value and calorie count, customers are still drawn to food items which they love. Food items like pizzas and French fries are ordered frequently by customers irrespective of the fact they are men or women.
- Women prefer more of Asian Cuisine where men tend to enjoy more of American and Mediterranean flavors
- Men tend to order more during night hours where women order more during day timings whereas
- Women order more often from their workplaces than men
- Men are more likely to order meat-based foods than women
- Coffee is found to be in 15% of women’s orders
- Bacon is ordered 35% more by men than women
- Poutine is ordered 30% more by men than women
- Sriracha is ordered 17% more by men than women
- Chia seeds are ordered 74% more by women than men
- Cupcakes are ordered 73% more by women than men
- Pressed juice is ordered 73% more by women than men
When it comes to certain food items which are frequently ordered, there is an overlap of choices between men and women. So, food items like fries and pizza are liked both by men and women and frequently. But when it comes to food items less frequently ordered then preferences in order by men and women become more distinct.
Apart from this, there is a lot of differences as to who orders when or who likes which desert more or who likes which cuisine more or maybe who is more likely to order on a Sunday from online food order system and apps.
Women are also generally seen to be making more healthy food choices than men. These insights about what is preferred more by each gender can be very useful in serving the customers better.